Tips for eye care in children
Follow these tips to ensure healthy eyes for your children.
1. Diet: A normal balanced diet comprising of red and green leafy vegetables like spinach, carrots, beetroot and yellow fruits including mango and papaya which are rich in carotene (A precursor of Vitamin A) should be consumed by children for healthy eyes.
2. TV Viewing: Television should be watched at a proper viewing distance of 3.5 meter or more in a well-lighted room. The bigger the TV, the further away your child should sit.
3. Computer Usage: the child should be encouraged to use it judiciously in order to reduce eye fatigue. Computer screen should be slightly lower than the eye level. Encourage your child to take a break after 30-40 minutes of near work such as reading, writing or computer work. Your child should look at distant objects for 3 to 5 minutes. They could look out of the window into the distance.
4. Playing games on the mobile: phones should be restricted because of the less form factor and the resolution.
5. Lighting: One should have a light source behind or from the side while studying. Books should be held at about 14 inches distance.
6. Outdoor activities: Protective eye wear is recommended for children involved in contact sports. Encourage children to spend more time on outdoor activities like ball games, walks in the park or a family picnic at the beach, as there is emerging evidence that outdoor activities may delay the onset or progression of myopia in your child.
8. Allergic Conjunctivitis is frequently seen in school age, children should be discouraged from rubbing their eyes since it aggravates the allergic process, In addition, due vigilance has to be paid to eye hygiene. Children should not touch their eyes with dirty hands
9. Certain practices like application of Kajal to new-borns and washing eyes with rosewater is an absolute NO-NO.
10. Take your child for eye checkups yearly
Click here to Read more about Utsav Eye Clinic.